The New Zealand Government has stated that most, but not all businesses can start to open under Alert Level 3 and that they must take health measures to keep their workers safe.
Government has stated that businesses must comply with the current alert level (including public health measures), appropriate public health requirements for their workplace (such as physical distancing), and all other health and safety obligations.
Guidance provided on the official COVID-19 website includes guidelines fo all businesses and is divided into the following sector and business operation areas.
Workplace premises only accessed by staff
- Building and construction
- Call centres Financial advice
- Food and beverage production and processing firms
- Magazine publisher
- Manufacturing plant
- Film and TV sets
- Wool value chain
- Flower growing and distribution
- Science and research.
Workplace premises accessed by the public or customers
- Hardware and DIY stores
- Agricultural Supply
- Animal and pet care services
- Clothing Stores
- Bars, cafes and restaurants
- Entertainment and tourist facilities
- Licensed supermarkets
- General retail stores
- Second-hand stores
- Shopping centres/malls
- Hairdressers, barbers, nail salons and non-medical massage
- Exercise facilities.
Workers going to customers or a third party premise
- Real estate firm
- Open homes
- Property management
- Removal/moving companies
- Plumbers, electricians and tradespeople
- Client-facing workers
- Home cleaners
Workplaces with no premises
- Outdoor adventure activities
- Driver instruction and licensing.
Resources for Whitianga businesses
If you would like to know how your Whitianga business can operate use the following resources.
- Find out detailed information about Level 3 workplace operations
- General information about COVID19 Government
- Health & Safety at Alert Level 3 visit WorkSafe
- BusinessNZ family for advice at: Upper North Island (EMA): 0800 300 362
The Government has provided information and examples on workplace operations at different COVID-19 coronavirus alert levels. COVID-19 Alert level 3 will take effect 27th April 2020 11.59pm.