The Banana Boat offers the best value family fun on the water in Whitianga. We cater for all ages, individuals or groups and all confidence levels from adrenalin seekers to thrills without spills, kiddy cruises to scenic tours of Cathedral Cove in Cooks Beach in the Mercury Bay.
Photos All Photos (13)
Join our local experienced Skipper and Guide on the water aboard our giant Banana Boat or tow boat. Banana Boat tours offer you a water experience that is as thrill seeking, sedate or as scenic as you would like to it be!
- Fun for all ages and confidence levels (Banana Boat seats from one to seven)
- Option available for people that want to go on the tow boat
- Boat rides $15-$20 (no bookings required)
- Room on the tow boat (two maximum)
- Scenic tours to Cathedral Cove (see us at the beach or call to book)
- Enjoy the marine environment up close on the water
- Located on Esplanade Beach (central and close to wharf and ferry terminal)
- Free volleyball and frisbee at Esplanade Beach.
We have rides suitable for all family and friends, and for all experience and confidence levels. We invite you to enjoy the beautiful marine environment of the Mercury Bay with us.
Steve and Kali, Banana Boat Operators
Cathedral Cove Scenic Tour (1.5hrs)
Enjoy the scenery of stunning beaches, caves and the marine reserve on your visit to world famous Cathedral Cove. Our local guide will take you ashore to share Cathedral Cove highlights, to have some swim and beach time and take photos of your group.
- Morning Tour: 9am - Returns 10.30am
- Sunset Tour: early evening
- $50 per person (bookings required - talk to our team at the beach or call).
Both trips include complimentary drink and biscuits. Sights include Flaxmill Bay, Lonely Bay, Shakespeare Cliff, Marine Reserve (bring own snorkel equipment for snorkelling options), Cathedral Cove, Gemstone Bay, Stingray Bay and other stunning sites along the way!
Come and enjoy a fun Banana Boat ride of your choice - you control the speed with thumbs up or down!
- 10am -early evenings daily
- Rides from $15-$20 (see below for details)
- We cater for individuals or groups
- No bookings required for rides (just come down to Esplanade Beach)
- Contact our team to arrange bookings for your group outside these times.
Thrill Seeker Ride
$15 - an exciting straight ride for those who are confident on the water and like a bit of speed.
Kiddies Cruise Ride
$15 and one parent free - very gentle and safe ride to build confidence
Cooks Beach Scenic
$20 - scenic thrill ride in one that takes in the scenery of Front Beach, Flaxmill Bay, Shakespeare Cliff, Lonely Bay, and see the Hollow Cave at Cooks Beach. A great family experience.
Off Peak Tours and Booking Options Below (From October - late December & February to May)
Private Banana Boat Scenic Tours Off Peak Tours and Bookings
Talk to our team to design you own private scenic tour to Cathedral Cove, Horseshoe Bay or simply enjoy continuous rides off the beach.
- 2 hour tour - $350
- 4 hour tour - $550
- Full day bookings - please contact our team to discuss your needs.
School Groups and Special Occasions
- Quarter and half day packages
- Tailored packages for your group on the water
- Scenic Cathedral Cove or beach highlight rides
- Continuous rides off the beach packages
- Complimentary volleyball and music at the beach available