What to Expect
A great guided walking tour that will take you around the historical hotspots of central Whitianga township and to the HMS Buffalo memorial which looks out to where the wreck of the ship the HMS Buffalo lies. You can ask your expert local guide questions along the way while enjoying this historical view of Whitianga at a leisurely pace on foot.This Whitianga Guided Historical Town walk is hosted by local identity Noel Hewlett and packed full of fascinating local information. Noel will cover local points of interest along the way, answer any questions you may have and you will be able to view the area where the wreck of the ship the HMS Buffalo foundered in the Mercury Bay 175 years ago on July 28th.
Things to note:
• The same walk will be held on Tuesday and Wednesday
• This walk will take approximately 1.5 hours and participants should have good walking shoes, and be prepared with wet weather clothing as and if required.
• Participants should be able to walk at a moderate pace. This walk is all on the flat but if you are unsure please discuss with the Museum staff regarding your suitability for this walk.
• Gold coin donation - would be appreciated on the day of the walk - these donations will go to the Museum for exhibition maintenance.
On the day of the walk:
* Walk starts at 10am.
• Assemble at the Mercury Bay Museum 11a The Esplanade (opposite the Whitianga Wharf) to meet your local guide Noel Hewlett from the Mercury Bay Museum.
• In the event of severe wet weather an alternative will be to have a guided talk at the museum.