What to Expect
The harbourmaster is employed by Waikato Regional Council to manage navigation safety in Whitianga and the Mercury Bay Area.
The harbourmaster promotes safety and navigable use of our waterways by:
- Carrying out regular patrols to ensure all water users know the local rules, ensuring Navigation Safety Bylaw compliance
- Removing navigation hazards ie: logs
- Maintaining signage at boat ramps
- Maintaining navigation buoys and beacons
- Disposal of wrecks or derelict vessels
- Working with the community to promote safety on our waterways
- Managing mooring zones.