The harbourmaster is employed by Waikato Regional Council to manage navigation safety in Whitianga and the Mercury Bay Area.
The harbourmaster promotes safety and navigable use of our waterways by:
- Carrying out regular patrols to ensure all water users know the local rules, ensuring Navigation Safety Bylaw compliance
- Removing navigation hazards ie: logs
- Maintaining signage at boat ramps
- Maintaining navigation buoys and beacons
- Disposal of wrecks or derelict vessels
- Working with the community to promote safety on our waterways
- Managing mooring zones.