The professional and friendly team at the Mercury Bay Medical Centre in Whitianga aim to provide the best possible health care for you and your family. We will work in partnership with you to achieve this.
Photos All Photos (10)
Covid-19 Testing site facility
The Mercury Bay Medical Centre is a COVID-19 testing site for Whitianga and areas including Matarangi, Tairua and Pauanui. Testing is available at 87 Albert Street, (Bryce Street side of the building). Prior authorisation of the urgent Dr working that day is required and you can be tested if you meet the following criteria:
- Anyone with respiratory symptoms consistent with Covid-19 coronavirus should be considered for testing regardless of travel history or contact with a confirmed case.
- Anyone with a fever > 38 AND/OR sore throat, cough or shortness of breath can be considered for testing.
PLEASE NOTE – you cannot just present to the site for testing- you need to ring the medical centre and speak to the urgent Dr that day if you feel you meet the criteria to be tested.
Times for the COVID-19 testing clinic are between 10am-3pm on weekdays. Due to transportation and storage issues, swabbing will only be done on the weekends if clinically urgent. Please visit our Facebook page or Website for any changes that may be made to this criteria.
Our centre offers medical advice 24/7 and you can call the surgery number day or night as there is always someone on duty to answer your call.
Our doctors are all members of the Royal New Zealand College of General Practice, a body that represents a commitment to the maintenance of high professional standards and up to date medical skills in all aspects of general practice. Our nurses are highly skilled and experienced and are committed to the maintenance of high professional standards and up to date medical skills including resuscitation and suturing.
Consultation and appointment options
We offer a range of consultation types via appointment to our enrolled population.
- Doctor or nurse face to face 15 min
- Doctor virtual – short telephone consultation
- Doctor email (manage my health only) brief single problem email consultation
- Laboratory services – Available weekdays before 2.30pm. Not weekends or public holidays
Accident and Emergency Care And Triage
- For Accident and Emergency Care - Life threatening - Call 111
- Otherwise we prefer you to phone 07 866 5911 day or night for triage.
General Medical Services
- Appointments are essential, please call the surgery to arrange an appropriate appointment to fit you health needs.
- Asthma reviews – yearly reviews are advised to optimise your treatment outcomes
- Blood pressure, height and weight checks - free kiosk in waiting room
- Cardiovascular assessments
- Women's health – including Cervical screening - we encourage our female clients to have a routine cervical screening from age 20 -70 years of age
- Diabetic reviews – we recommend our diabetic patients take the opportunity of a FREE annual review
- Drug testing
- Family planning
- Family medicine
- Flu vaccinations
- B4school checks – FREE health check for pre-school children/Tamariki who are turning 4 years old
- Medicals – diving, driving, insurance and pre employment medicals
- Men's health – we suggest all men have a health check annually from the age of 45 years
- Palliative care
- Sexual health – note free for under 25 years
- Skin checks and skin lesion removals – including melanom checks
- Smoking cessation – for advice, tips and tricks on how to quit smoking as well as prescribed medications
- Travel medicals, safety advice and most vaccinations
- Weight loss – promoting healthy eating
The flu vaccination is FREE for people who are most at risk. Almost everyone can benefit from protection, especially if you or any family member is:
- Pregnant (any trimester)
- Aged 65 years and older
- Living with an ongoing health condition (like asthma, diabetes, cancer, a heart or lung condition)
- Aged 4 years or under (who have been hospitalised for respiratory illness or have a history of significant respiratory illness).
Manage My Health
Available to patients 16 years plus. Ask our team how to join our Manage My Health online portal to make appointments, view your medical records, request prescriptions and email your doctor.
- Physiotherapy – Robert Lindsay and Crystal Vause (two days per week)
- Ophthalmologist – Chris Murphy (every second Wednesday)
- Orthopaedic Surgeon – Ian Galley (every three months)
- Diabetic Educator – Stacey Dunlop (monthly clinics)
- Clinico – Denture services – (Thursdays).