Local restaurants are busy designing special seafood menus for diners to enjoy as part of Whitianga ‘Seafood on a Plate’ from 17-26 September.
Esplanade Apartment Managers, Deborah and Terry Bibby have been working with local restaurants, cafes and takeaways to celebrate Whitianga as a ‘must visit’ location for seafood dining in New Zealand.
They hope that the range of seafood dining options will encourage visitors to extend their stay if they are attending the Whitianga Oceans Festival on the 18th September, and to encourage new visitors to the Mercury Bay.
We are looking to build on a tremendous repeat performance of the Seafood dining week from last year. This is a great local initiative between local restaurants and an exciting week to build on all that the Oceans Festival offers and hope to encourage people to stay longer in the beautiful Mercury Bay.
Terry Bibby, Whitianga Seafood on a Plate Organiser
Local restaurants getting seafood menus ready
Over the ten days of Seafood on a Plate diners are invited to book into restaurants enjoy a diverse range of seafood dishes and entertainment options.
Whether you are interested in fast, fine, lunch or evening dining there will be plenty to choose from. To book a table or enquire about each individual menu please contact the restaurants directly.
Restaurants participating in Seafood on a Plate
- Stoked Restaurant (seafood specials to match with your favourite wine)
- Kufe (seafood fish platter and seafood chowder dishes)
- Smittys Sports Bar and Grill (live music on some days and club style seafood grub – no bookings come along and enjoy the atmosphere!)
- Marina Bay Eatery and Bar (seafood specials to match with your favourite wine)
- Umino Hoshi (Japanese seafood delicacies – sushi, donburi, noodles, side dishes)
- The House of Chang Thai (choose from extensive menu or our two special seafood dishes – entree Thai prawn cakes and main Hot Monk Taley or Thai Steamed seafood basket)
- Harbour House Cafe
- Snapper Jacks
- The Whitianga Hotel
- Saby's Kitchen
- The Lost Spring
- The French Fig
- Salt Restaurant and Bar
- Sangam Indian Cuisine
- Ninas Eatery and Wine Bar
- Mercury Bay Winery
- Buffalo Beach Takeaways
- Blue Ginger
- Mercury Bay Estate and Winery & Restaurant
- The Coroglen Tavern
- Espy Cafe
- Whitianga Takeaways and Fresh Fish.