Art-lovers will have an extra opportunity to visit Mercury Bay Art Escape’s Open Studios as organisers have extended the programme. Due to Covid-19 restrictions, Aucklanders were not able to make the journey to the eastern Coromandel for Saturday’s opening day. So, a third weekend has been added at Easter, meaning artists are opening their studios March 6-7, March 13-14, and April 3-4.
The Mercury Bay Art Escape organising committee don’t want people to miss out.
Our artists are already set up for the March weekends, so we thought we’d add in Easter since many Aucklanders’ plans to visit had been thwarted. We’re delighted our artists are making themselves available for this third weekend. It proves how important the event is to our creative community here, and how excited we are about welcoming art-lovers to our workspaces. Our opening day was fantastic; artists’ studios were busy and feedback from visitors was excellent.
Mercury Bay Art Escape chair and Kuaotunu photographer Ian Preece.
Updates to the Mercury Bay Art Escape Programme
Mercury Bay Art Escape organisers have already rescheduled:
- The gala evening – originally planned for March 5, to April 1, because of previous Level 2 restrictions in the Coromandel.
- The Showcase Exhibition – has also been extended by two weeks. It’s at Hot Waves Café, Hot Water Beach, from Saturday March 6, and until Sunday, April 18. This exhibition features work from all Open Studios’ participants and Mercury Bay Art Escape members.
Mercury Bay Art Escape Open Studios
The Mercury Bay Art Escape’s Open Studios are a brilliant opportunity for members of the public to meet artists and see inside their creative spaces. Discover what inspires artists, see their works in progress, and buy an original piece directly from its creator.
Artists are based in and around Tairua, Coroglen, Whenuakite, Hot Water Beach, Hahei, Cooks Beach, Whitianga, Opito Bay, Kuaotunu and Rings Beach. The fifty artists represent a rich and eclectic mix of the arts and include flax weavers, furniture makers, jewellers, glass and mosaic artists, painters, photographers, potters, printmakers, sculptors, and woodworkers. Seven new artists are taking part for the first time.
The Open Studios are a free event, with studios open the weekends of March 6-7, March 13-14 and April 3-4. Doors are open 10am to 4pm. Use the links below to download a map to plan your visit. When visiting artist studios and the exhibition, guests are reminded to please scan the QR code on entry.
Summary of dates and events
The Gala Evening
The Gala Evening is a favourite social event of Coromandel’s arts scene and is rescheduled until Thursday April 1 At Hot Waves Café in Hot Water beach from 6pm.
- Meet the artists and have an early viewing of their work
- Tickets are $45 and include a complimentary wine, food and live music
- Tickets are limited and can be purchased via the related links below.
Dates are the weekends of March 6-7, March 13-14, and April 3-4.
- Studios are open from 10am until 4pm
- Design your own fun road trip with a self-guided art trail throughout the greater Mercury Bay area on the eastern Coromandel Peninsula
- Download maps using the related links below.
Artist Showcase Exhibition
At Hot Waves Café from March 6 until Sunday April 18. All artists participating in the Open Studios and members of the Mercury Bay Art Escape will have a piece on display
Maps and guides available, along with information about the artists at the Mercury Bay Art Escape website via the link below.