Simpsons Beach (Wharekaho) is a place of history and living legacies set alongside a beautiful beach and the shade of inviting ancient Pohutukawa.
See the Getting Around Guide for a range of options.
Today it is the home to Ko Te Ra Matiti (Wharekaho) marae of Ngati Hei iwi who descend from Hei and the Arawa waka, which arrived in the area in 1350. It is also home to a small number of more recent residents and seasonal visitors who enjoy the enchantment of this easy to access long sandy beach.
Historically it was home to the ancient Wharetaewa Pa, which was established in 1150AD and occupied for many generations until an attack on its inhabitants in 1880. It is also the place in 1769 where Captain Cook and his crew experienced their first official Powhiri and welcome on New Zealand soil at Wharetaewa Pa.